Monday, March 06, 2006

Smallest Street-Legal Car


I thought it was about time I got around to illustrate the smallest microcar. These things make a SMART car look huge!
Peel 3-wheelers were manufactured from 1962 to 1965. The Peel P50, was produced by Peel Engineering Company, manufacturers of fiberglass fairings and boats on the Isle of Man. Peel Engineering was the only car manufacturer based in the Isle of Mann. At only 53 inches (1.34m) long and 39 inches (99cm) wide the Peel P50 is currently the smallest 3-wheeler ever produced. With a top speed of just 38mph and powered by a tiny, 49cc 2-stroke DKW engine it was designed to accommodate one adult only (and maybe a shopping bag).
The Peel 50 had no reverse gear, but at just 132lb (59kg) it was light enough to park manually using the convenient lifting handle provided at the rear of the vehicle. These cars are so rare that they command a high price, if you can even find one, of $15-$30K.



Take a look and see the delightful little P50 as well as its bigger brother, the Peel Trident and have fun shopping.
And, if you can't get enough enjoyment out of some of my Peel P50 gift items and you want the real thing, vist Andy Carter's Microcar Replica site. He reproduces the bodies and running gear so you too can toodle around town in your very own pocket-sized microcar.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

Silly me. OBVIOUSLY you know about Smart cars!

1:11 AM  
Blogger boogerballs said...

Yes, I do know about SMARTs. I only wish they would start to import them into the US! Got a ride in one just last year.
And by the way, I only moved to Los Gatos in 1977, so I missed you by a year and never really saw how it had changed over the years except since then. I grew up in Los Altos and moved to Los Gatos after I got married.

2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home